As many Arizona homeowners can attest, screen doors offer an added layer of protection from insects and harsh weather to your home. Installing a screen door is an easy DIY project. However, many people find themselves asking: do screen doors go on the inside or outside? This is something you need to know before getting started.
Our Arizona sun solution experts have the answer. As a homeowner, it is up to you to decide where you’d like to install your screen door. Need some assistance? Our team will help you determine which option is best for your home.
Why Get An Exterior Screen Door?
Many homeowners choose to install their screen door outside their exterior door. Why? Well, here are a few advantages to putting your screen door on the outside:
- Increased protection. Putting a screen door on the outside is a great way of protecting your exterior door from harsh weather conditions and damage.
- In-swinging doors. If your exterior door swings inward, then installing the screen door on the outside may be preferred.
- Commonality. Nearly every exterior door has the ability for a screen door to be installed outside of it. Therefore, you can more or less trust that an exterior screen door will work with your home.
Why Get An Interior Screen Door?
While screen doors traditionally go outside an exterior door, there are some advantages to putting them on the inside. Both interior and exterior screen doors increase ventilation and natural light, but interior screen doors also offer the following added benefits:
- Can be used with out-swinging doors. Exterior screen doors work great for sliding glass doors, but what happens when your door swings outwards? With an interior screen door, this is something you won’t have to worry about.
- Keep the interior open. One of the primary reasons people install interior screen doors is so that they can leave their exterior door open to enjoy the breeze without welcoming in bugs or intruders.
- Provide interior security. While interior screen doors don’t provide protection for your exterior doors, they offer an added layer of protection for the inside of your home (and the loved ones that live inside).
How to Install a Screen Door
Thinking of adding an interior screen door to your home? Don’t worry, our team has got you covered. There are plenty of screen door installation kits that will ensure the process goes smoothly, but in general, you can follow these steps:
- Decide which direction the door should go. Usually, this is the opposite direction of your exterior door.
- Put the door in place. Then, mark it with a pencil.
- Fit the door into the opening. Make sure to always keep about 3/16 of an inch between the screen door and door jamb.
- Drill holes into the marked areas. Then, screw the hinges into place and install the screen door to the frame. Afterward, you can install all other hardware.
- Test the screen door. You can do this by wedging pieces of paper into the edges of the door and tugging on them to see if they are secure. You should also open and close the door a few times.
Best Sun Solutions in Phoenix, AZ
So, do screen doors go on the inside or outside? Well, the answer is entirely up to you. If you’re looking for the best sun screens in Phoenix, look no further than AZ Sun Solutions. We have a wide selection of premier sun solutions that are guaranteed that work for any home style and budget. Contact our team for a free quote today.