If you live in Arizona, you know that the desert sun is no joke. It can be both a blessing and a curse, depending on the day. If you have an outdoor living space, it’s essential to install some form of protection against the sun.
Retractable awnings and sun shades are common fixtures in outdoor living spaces in Arizona. As a homeowner, this begs the question of how to choose between a retractable awning and a sun shade. Our team at AZ Sun Solutions is breaking down each sun solution to help you determine which one is the best fit for your space.
A retractable awning is a rolled up shade installed on an outdoor wall, typically over a deck or patio. When in use, it extends out over your outdoor living space at a downward angle.
The pros of installing a retractable awning include:
- Retractable awnings reduce sunlight and glare in your outdoor living space and windows by as much as 94 percent.
- By remaining overhead, they do not obstruct the stunning views or disrupt the flow of your space.
- Using a retractable awning can cut down on your air conditioning costs by as much as 17 percent.
- They can protect you from rain, as well as the heat and glare of the sun.
The one drawback of going with a retractable awning is that you can still be vulnerable to wind kicking up sand and insects. Overall, they are a highly practical installation for any outdoor living space.
A sun shade is a mostly transparent screen – typically installed on a porch, cabana, or veranda – that extends straight down to the floor from a high wall or ceiling.
The pros of installing a sun shade in your outdoor living space include:
- Sun shades cut down on up to 96 percent of UV rays.
- Having a sun shade instantly cools the temperature of your outdoor living space.
- In addition to offering protection from the sun, sun shades also block wind chill and retain heat in the winter.
- Like a retractable awning, sun shades also help you save money on your air conditioning bills, as well as prevent energy loss.
- Serving as a type of enclosure, a sun shade is great for keeping pets from running off as well as keeping pesky insects out.
The one downside of sun shades is that they can slightly obstruct your view, as they are not fully transparent. However, you can work around this by simply installing it in an area of your outdoor living space where the view won’t be at risk.
Retractable Awnings and Sun Shades in Phoenix, AZ
AZ Sun Solutions boasts an expansive inventory of customizable retractable awning and sun shade options. No matter which feature you’ve decided is right for you, AZ Sun Solutions has got you covered every step of the way.
Ready to learn more? Contact us today for a free quote or to learn more about our premier Phoenix sun solutions.